Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pre-PRK

My name is Serena and I'm 36 years old.

I've been contemplating LASIK surgery for many years now, and a few times I was told I wasn't a good candidate.  As technology improved, eventually I became a candidate but was too afraid to take that big step.  My husband had LASIK done 6 years ago, with successful results.

I've worn glasses for 27 years, and contact lenses for 19 of those years.  Due to severe dry eyes, I was no longer able to wear contact lenses and glasses became a hassle in my life in so many ways.  I was always getting contact lens infections, could never find a good fit for my left eye, and tired of having to keep track of how long I wore them and spotty vision.  I decided to start going out and getting consultations.  I was to spend $500 on new glasses and a year's worth of contact lenses, or take that money and apply to to LASIK surgery.

After a few consultations, it was determined by all places that I wasn't a good candidate for LASIK, but for LASEK or PRK (the older form).  I somewhat understood what the surgery entailed and was determined to educate myself on the entire process.  I highly recommend this.

No comments:

Post a Comment