Monday, February 6, 2012

Week 5

I'm in my 5th week of recovery with this upcoming Thursday marking the milestone.  Hmm not really a milestone because this has been the longest month of my life it seems, but things have definitely changed.

I stopped the steroid drops last Wednesday night and Thursday morning wasn't too bad.  Thursday night was even tolerable with the exception of headlights being too bright ( I was again a passenger).  Friday morning however I woke up with a lot of light sensitivity.  Probably the most I'd had in about a week.  I also found myself rewetting my eyes more with drops than I had previous days and my eyes felt gritty and irritated.  As the day went on the sensitivity continued.  I couldn't drive so my husband ran me around for errands (so glad he came home for the afternoon!).  I called my doctor's office and explained that I was having the sensitivity again after being off of the drops for 2 days.  At first she said I had to be seen by them before I could go back on them, and when I griped to her that I refused to go all weekend again with the sensitivity and that I had an appointment on the 5th, she said it was fine to use them until then.  I did the drops that afternoon and not long after, my eyes felt better.  Something has to give!  I know that being on these drops is not good for my eyes.

This past weekend was pretty good vision wise.  Saturday we went bowling with glo-bowl and my eyes were loving how dark it was.  I could not see the score board very well and instead of 10 pins there were 30 pins...lol  We later went to a hotel with friends so our children could swim.  I tolerated the chlorine vapors for a long time and by the end of the night, my eyes were super great at a medium distance. I drove for the first time at night and it went very well.  I am definitely going to have to stay local until my eyes are stable.  Long distance vision is blurry right now and I cannot read any signs until the are right up near my car.

This morning my eyes were a little bit light sensitive while driving to go exercise.  I'm thinking I didn't give them enough time to adjust (thank you snooze button) and they hadn't "booted" up yet.  I am reading on other sites and blogs that a lot of people who are going through this process say their eyes worsen throughout the day, mine actually improve.  This could totally be due to the daylight as well.

The ghosting is awful.  I see everything triple when it comes to small things.  It's very frustrating and I wish it would go away.  My left eye isn't as ghosted this morning but my right one is still very bad.  My right eye is also a little sharper.  The right eye has also been experiencing the light sensitivity more the past couple of days.  The right eye was my higher prescription eye, where my left eye required a lot more scraping of the eye due to scar tissue.  I'm going to ask about this at my appointment Thursday.

We invested in a good pair of sunglasses for me, Maui Jim's.  Where it's eating me alive the cost of them, they are by far the best pair of sunglasses I have ever worn.  I keep coming across other polarized glasses and none of them hold a candle to these.  My only complaints are that they were heavy initially (I guess my face adjusted and they aren't heavy anymore) and that they don't stay on top of my head very well, which is where my sunglasses have gone for years.  I can have them adjusted so I might take them in to fiddle around with it.  If you are going to get this surgery done, get a good pair of sunglasses.  They make all the difference in the world.  Also maybe purchase them before hand so you know what you look like in then!

No comments:

Post a Comment