Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week 8

What a difference a week makes.  Not that things are super different but it's noticeable.  Especially while sitting here typing this.  Weeks ago I had my brightness down, font magnified, and I had to STAND and look down just to type a few words then look away.  Oh the agony I had in my poor eyes.  It was such a depressing, helpless feeling to not be able to see.

I'm down to one drop in each eye of prednisolone (steroid) a day (since Thursday) and am currently using the beta blocker drop to prevent my eye pressure from going up.  I haven't noticed any side effects from the beta blocker drops yet.  Maybe that my right eye feels dryer.  I have been very tired lately however, I still wake up at least once a night and I have a lot on my mind.

I often get asked if I regret doing the surgery.  I still answer that I am not sure, that I need more time.  I will say that since going down to steroids once a day that things aren't as blurry, especially in the morning since I stopped using them at night.  I am doing pretty good light sensitivity wise being on only one drop in each eye.  We had snow and a pretty sunny day today and I could handle it with only wincing a little, which I would have prior to surgery just the same.  I was able to make it through an entire church service without using re-wetting drops and no pain looking up at our Pastor under the lights.  I am still seeing double (ghosted) images though and that is a little bit stressful because it is not going away.  It only fluctuates in my left eye, and my right eye seems to be pretty much the same type of angle of ghosting.  I am a little nervous about a touch up but I'm only 2 months post-op.  I have four good months of continuous healing before I should make a solid judgement of what my vision should be.  Right now it's pretty good with the exception of the ghosting/astigmatism. Without that it'd be phenomenal!

I've also started using the bottle Systane drops a few times during the day.  I think that the preservative free gives me clearer vision long term because they are less oily and don't leave a film on my eyes.  I'm trying to gradually switch.  I'm definitely feeling like I need them less.

I'm driving!  I can shop on my own! I can use my PC without eye strain!  I can read my phone by mid-day and although challenging I can still read it.  I do struggle with some reading but that has definitely improved.  I am back volunteering in the school and able to be a part of that again!

This experience has changed me.  I have a new found appreciation for my vision, my health, my life.  I will never take that for granted again.  I had such an overwhelming amount of support from my friends who took me where I needed to be.  Told me I looked great (even if I didn't) and called so I had someone to talk to when I couldn't see my phone. God put those people in my life.  I will always remember those days.   My husband and children have been so patient and supportive.  I am thankful for them each and every day.

I think I'm seeing pretty good.  I have massive halos around all lights, and the star bursting sometimes is minor to major!  My night vision is very poor.  I never have enough light it seems.  I hope this improves because I never lacked any kind of confidence while driving at night.

That's my update for now.  I'll check in again in a week and hopefully I'll see more improvement. :)

I'm editing to add that I finally wore mascara yesterday and touching my eyes aren't bothering me as much now.  What a difference that makes!  Feeling a little more like myself. :)  Also my left eye was twitching a lot yesterday and that's odd for me.  Needed to make note of that.

3 comments:

  1. Hi there!

    can you please give us some update?

    Thanks,

    Cristiano

    ReplyDelete
  2. how u feel now !!!! sorry i speak spanish so i understand a litlle be... i do the surgery am pass to bad n i get it depresion to so i wana know how u see now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeahh please tell us : what's up ?? did you get the enhancement ?? stil have some ghosting ? if not, when did they disapear ? thks . Arnaud

    ReplyDelete